Harry Potter MotW: Scariest creature

Harry potter month

[This is a slightly delayed response to Leah's Harry Potter moment of the week. If you'd like to join in, head on over to !

The theme of this week’s Harry Potter Moment of the Week is the “Scariest magical creature”.

I’ve got two joint winners this week because I just couldn’t decide!

Acromantula

Now, I’m not a big fan of spiders at the best of time, but the idea of giant  don’t like spiders, but the idea of giant, venomous spiders with a taste of human flesh – that’s a truly terrifying concept!  In fact, perhaps the only way it could be worse?  If it was a wasp instead of a spider (fun fact, I’m completely and utterly phobic of wasps).

Dementors

Dementors don’t have the instant ‘ick’ factor that Acromantula do, but while Acromantula scare the life out of you pretty much the second you think about them, Dementors stuck with me for a long time after we first read about them, and the more I think about them, the creepier they get.

I mean really, is there anything more sinister than the idea of a creature roaming around sucking the happiness out of everyone, leaving people depressed (and in the case of muggles at least, for no apparent reason).  Not to mention the whole soul-sucking ability….

I’m quite changeable mood wise anyways, so I don’t think I’d cope very well if I had to face a Dementor – although given the amount of chocolate I eat, I wonder if it could serve as preventative protection too?!

Which do you think is the scariest Harry Potter creature?
About these ads

8 Comments

1. Yep on both accounts, but a spider vs dementor, I’ll take the spider any day. Maybe I could bullshit myself out of being eaten, which would not work with dementors, probably. :D

I want to know how they even got to be, what happened? How they’re what they are?! How do they reproduce? Actually, don’t wanna know. If they cannot die though, maybe they are always the same number, but how they came to be at all? SO MANY QUESTIONS :D

2. Definitely the dementor. Horrible. *shudders*

3. Yeah. Both of them, I think. I’m a bit scared of spiders. Just thinking about them gives me the heeby-jeebies. But I think Dementors take the cake. And Boggarts maybe. Oh, and also the Basilisk… too much scariness!

4. Yup, I picked Dementors but I had to give a shout out to the Acromantula as well. I giant intelligent spider with millions of spider minions scare the crap out of me! But I think you said it perfectly in that Dementors stay with you long after you first encounter them. For me the fact that they terrified Harry even worse than the dark lord was saying an awful lot! The sucking out of the soul is their worst trick but man just the fact that they roam around depressing people and leaving them with only their worst memories is bad enough O.O

5. Dementors are really scary. The fact that they don’t kill you is prtty terrifying. Would you still be able to think and feel once thy have kissed you.

6. Urrrrrgh I HATE dementors so much! They’re such horrific creatures. I think what freaks me out is that we’ve never been told if they can actually die. I know they can be banished away temporarily but forever? *shudders*

1. The Weekly Recap (#25) | studentspyglass